Friday, March 4, 2011

Kenseiden and Space Harrier

The Sega Master System was my first console. I believe my brother bought it back in 1986 and at th age of 3 I was already playing Alex Kidd, Shinobi, Hang-On, Wonder-Boy, Space Harrier and Kenseiden.



I just received these 2 from the good people of Canada Post.




Space Harrier is a very unique game (especially for it's time) where you control a flying space dude carrying a giant cannon like a rolled carpet tucked in his armpits. The game is formatted like a racing game or even an FPS that has you constantly going forward, shooting the oddest and most original enemies (one-eyed mammoths, 2 headed human-faced dragons, alien-like octopuses, and even that flying dog from The Never Ending Story as a companion).



The game was originally an arcade, fully equipped with an elaborate cabinet to simulated the MC's flying abilities. It was a faithful port with some hiccups here and there, but for it's time, it was pretty amazing. Definitely blew my 6 year old mind :)


Here's a review of Space Harrier from Mark of Classic Game Room. You might find some similarities between Space Harrier and Bayonetta. That's because one of Bayonetta's stages is an homage to the semi on- rails, semi shmup classic. 

If you're interested in some awesome, obscure retro games, I would highly recommend both Space Harrier and watching Classic Game Room!

I'll do a short summary of Kenseiden later in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment