Friday, March 4, 2011

Casio Watch: "Space Warrior"

Back when I was 7, a grade school friend of mine lent me his amazing Ninja Gaiden digital watch for a week. The crazy thing (at the time) was that this watch actually had the Ninja Gaiden game on it (Game & Watch style). It completely blew my mind. Imagine how boring class was while the teacher was going through the answers for math homework and all you wanted to do was to slice some bad ninjas up. That's exactly what I did, and it was the greatest thing ever.



It's hard to imagine now how cool it was, with all the modern technology today... You have handheld consoles that could play games sub-par PS2 graphics, watch movies near HD quality, mutiplayer wifi, etc... Back in the day the only thing electronically portable was either your watch or a set of walkie talkies.

About 2 years ago I decided to go on a massive hunt for digital watches, specifically ones that play games. The very first one I purchased was MIB. It was from a Swedish collector from http://pocketcalculatorshow.com.


The Casio "Space Warrior" watch was made in Japan, 198*. The watch has a time, alarm function and a side scrolling SHMUP where you must control the Gundam-like android printed on the middle right of the screen, and shoot and avoid the enemies. There's also a multiplier if you hit multiple enemies with a single shot.

The game has some wear on it since it's the watch I wear the most. It's definitely a personal favourite of mine.

 

Here's a short clip of me demoing off a few seconds of the game.

Luckily I purchased these watches before the big inflation started. Casio game watches can range from $100 - $300 depending on  the model nowadays.

Hope you enjoyed this post. I'll be uploading more pics of other watches I own in the near future :P

No comments:

Post a Comment