Sunday, March 20, 2011

Shadow of the Handheld Colossus

Here's something that I didn't have to buy!


This Sega Game Gear is actually my girlfriend's console. I've always wanted to try it for the longest time and now I finally get that chance.

Straight from the little lady's mouth, she told me that her sister purchased the console second hand from an elementary classmate of hers, bundled with not only Sonic 2, but Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, and Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion.


Amazing at the conditions of these games and their packages. Each one plays quite well and are beautifully displayed in full colour, which was unheard of at the time for handheld consoles. It's sub-par Sega Master System but it still looks pretty awesome.


The size and weight of this behemoth is no joke. The width, height and volume is probably about the size of a DSiXL that is taped to a DSi. The screen is smaller than the DS Phat, and the weight (including the 6 AA batteries needed to turn on the chubby bastard) is... very heavy.

Now here's the awesome part:


This is the Handy Gear; a massive game case for the already gigantic Game Gear.


Though comically in size, the thing is actually quite functional. The D-Pad is pretty responsive, and although it feels a little squishy, the buttons respond good enough... It's just massively... massive! So much that it's quite uncomfortable in my hands. I can't imagine my girlfriend's tiny little hands on it when she was a poop.

Overall it's a pretty cool console. And though it may be a tad bit of an overkill with the case, I can't help but wonder what kind of reaction I would get lugging this dude around the public transit. Sometimes size does matter :D







No comments:

Post a Comment